Stranger in Her Native Land

There are stories I would like to tell and there are stories I can never tell. The rest is recorded below. My life, which lies between truth and fiction, is written here. Things are changing.

Name:
Location: Chicago, IL, United States

Can I feed you? :)

Sunday, October 23, 2005

transit

There is something I love about train rides. Maybe it’s nostalgia from when Dad would take us down to Lake Forest by train. I always loved those Saturdays, where we would help out, writing signs, working next to the bakery, etc. The days when I worshiped my father. When I got older I would ride the train down to Chicago, sometimes alone, sometimes with someone. I still remember the time Molly took me down there we went to the Chicago Cultural Center and looked at the mosaic work. She bought me a silver dolphin ring, and lost Grandma’s opal ring. I still remember.

Last year when I moved to the north side of Chicago, I would love the ride in and out of the Loop on the Brown line. In the morning I would try and sit on the left side so I could see the Chicago river framed by those majestic skyscrapers gleaming in the morning sun. Riding home, on the right side, there’s a moment just past the Steppenwolf theater where all of Chicago is spread out before you from the Hancock to the Sears. I love Chicago.

On weekends, the train ride between Hwa-jeong and Gupabal is my favorite part of my trip into Seoul. Listening to whatever my mood fancied, the train travels through dark tunnels until suddenly the tunnel opens up into winding valleys. It’s not just the scenery. It’s the people. I watch as salesmen and women stream past hawking everything from walking canes to clip lights, as missionaries sing there way down the train, while seeing monks sit peaceably in grey robes, grandmother in colorful hanboks, giggling girls in pleated skirts, or old men in business suits who have perfected sleeping up right, all of whom are on their way somewhere. Last night, from Gupibal to Hwa-jeong a Korean grandmother adopted me, looking out for me. I said, “Kamsa Hamnida(Thank you).”, because it was all I could say. Maybe, what I like about train rides is traveling together. Strangers all going the same way. All going somewhere, even it it‘s not the same destination. But, ultimately, isn’t it. All going home, going out, going hiking, going to a wedding, going on an adventure. Going, going, gone.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home