Stranger in Her Native Land

There are stories I would like to tell and there are stories I can never tell. The rest is recorded below. My life, which lies between truth and fiction, is written here. Things are changing.

Name:
Location: Chicago, IL, United States

Can I feed you? :)

Sunday, October 30, 2005

For My Mother


Arial of Gyeongbokgung
Originally uploaded by punk_rock_baby.
The ring in this picture was given to me by my mother. She bought it in Ireland for me. Whenever I look at it I remember her. I'm afraid one day I'll lose it. I shouldn't be afraid. It's just a symbol, it isn't my mother's love, just a reminder of it. But sometimes the symbols, mean so much. One of my new songs sings, "Give me the words that tell me nothing. Oh, give me the words, give me the words that tell me everything."

My mother called me wondering if I was okay, if I was regretting times gone by. Times, when things were different. There was a time in our family when those three little words weren't said(or not said enough). It was a said time, but now they're over. Things have changed, and I am happy about that. Things needed to change. Things will hopefully continue to change.

I’ve told my mother this before, but I’ll say it again. I am proud of my mother. There are times in your life when you have to make hard choices, and she made them, she stood up for herself, she became herself. She’s changed, and I love her for that. I love her for her heart, her courage, and her willingness to start life again at forty. People say, “Wow, moving to Korea that’s a big change.” No, what happened to my family, that was a big change, this is just a change in scenery. Changing who you are, how your life is, that is the biggest change, the biggest challenge. So, I am proud of my Mom for having the courage to make those changes, to take up the challenges of living her own life. I love you Mom. I am glad we say that a lot more now. : )(I am never going to win an Oscar, so this will be my thank you Mom speech that’s gone on too long.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home