Stranger in Her Native Land

There are stories I would like to tell and there are stories I can never tell. The rest is recorded below. My life, which lies between truth and fiction, is written here. Things are changing.

Name:
Location: Chicago, IL, United States

Can I feed you? :)

Thursday, November 10, 2005

Amused

The best part about being in Korea is hands down working, or should I say amusing, small children. The older ones are too tired and jaded to be amused by this crazy American. The best I can get out of them is bemused. My three o'clock classes are still young enough to be amused by my quirks. Which works great when one's mind has decided to take a holiday, leaving you with limited functions, a proclivity to wander oddly or do random things. Nothing holds a child's attention than a crazy American, who takes attendance by asking in a confused voice,"Who am I? Who are you?" No matter how tired I am, I still end up laughing and smiling my way through a lesson. All I need to say is "Thomas the Tomato," and my whole class breaks out in laughter, including Thomas the Tomato. It's great when one can laugh at the silly things that make no sense. They're great.

Nothing makes a person feel better than laughter. And today, when I need it they made me laugh. My six young boys were highly amusing in a very wrong way. I was teaching them about food, tastes good, having, etc. And Jun(probably one of my favorites) says,"Teacher, coffee(mimes holding a coffee cup), bread, (dips bread in coffee), good!" "Okay, Jun." "Teacher, Cass good(note Cass is Korean beer)!" And then mimes drinking beer. Andy says,"Teacher Hite good(note Hite is another beer)." While the kid across from them mimes dropping a shot of something and slugging it back. Yes, these kids are probably around 8 or 9. I was trying to teach them,"What would you like to have for lunch?" They were trying to recommend beer. Yeah, I never know what they're going to say next but I love that. They're so fearless and so energetic, how can one not be also. So thank goodness for children's laughter, fearlessness, curiosity, and youthful exuberance.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home