Stranger in Her Native Land

There are stories I would like to tell and there are stories I can never tell. The rest is recorded below. My life, which lies between truth and fiction, is written here. Things are changing.

Name:
Location: Chicago, IL, United States

Can I feed you? :)

Sunday, November 27, 2005

Pie eiP

My day backwards, just for a hoot. I just finished watching "About A Boy," a good holiday/family movie, on AFN Prime. I got home after an hour train ride back from Apgujeong, a rather upscale and trendy section of Seoul. I had a lovely, over priced cup of coffee and pie after leaving Tarah and Andrew on their way to Subway(as in the sandwich chain) and KOEX(huge mall). The pie was actually from an Austrilian chain called Bondi, which had everything from Shepard's pie to apple pie. I opted for the Beef Vindaloo pie which was small but with a decent crust. I flipped through Austalian Gourmet, coping down two recipies I'll have to make when I have an oven and people to bake for. Also strangely enough I found a recipe for a Caprini martini featured in an article. I also found Bagel Street Cafe. The place Andrew, Tarah and I had spent an hour rooming the streets of Apgujeong looking for. By then Andrew and Tarah were eating subs, and it didn't matter anyway since it was closed. I had taged along with Tarah in search of bagels and cream cheese after going with her to the orphanage she volunteers at every two weeks.

The orphanage is on a hill next to a busy street down from World Cup Station. There are four buildings, one is a dormatory, one is an office, one was a dining hall/rec area, and I am not sure what the fourth one is. The buildings are decorated with odd murals. The water tank is painted like a zebra. On one wall, there is a mural of Santa Claus yelling at a crying reindeer with a police officer coming to talk to him, while an angel watches over head. None of the buildings are what one could call nice, but are not bad. There is a sandy parking lot in front, and then a steep incline which could fit a car.

The orphanage has only boys. When we got there the younger boys were tearing around running up and down the steps. Some of the older boys were playing ball with two other foriegners. Tarah and I played Uno for a while on the steps going up the hill toward the dormintory. One of the youngest squated by my feet looking over the sholder of one of the boys who was playing with us. I eventually lost my cards to another boy who wanted to play. Justin(one of Tarah's students) didn't want to stop playing. And he definately didn't want us to win so he kept yelling,"Uno" as soon as he saw we were about to put down our second to last card. The boy who took over my hand decided to claim me and we went down to toss a soft frisbee like thing from Pizza Hut in front of the orphanage. The time went quickly, but I am glad I went. On leaving, Justin asked if I'd be back and I told him I'd come back. I will probably go back again with Tarah in two weeks. Maybe, next time I'll bring my camera.

I don't really have anything to say, because what can you say besides I got lucky. I think it would have been a lot harder if they were babies. The really hard part will be not going, but leaving them behind. I think Tarah is really glad I'm interested in going, and maybe able to take over her group. It means when she leaves she knows someone will still be going there, and for a little longer she'll be able to hold on to them before they're swallowed by the world.

So, that was my day backwards. Life is backwards, isn't it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home