Stranger in Her Native Land

There are stories I would like to tell and there are stories I can never tell. The rest is recorded below. My life, which lies between truth and fiction, is written here. Things are changing.

Name:
Location: Chicago, IL, United States

Can I feed you? :)

Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Wayguk

The secret to making new friends when you are a Korean American is hang out with other foreigners. The problem is first finding other foreigners to hang out with. When I got to Korea, I found I physically fit in to the Korean category. Culturally, I’m white bread. So when I meet Koreans, they were puzzled by my lack of Korean. Some will continue to speak Korean to me in hope that a secret switch will turn on and I will speak Korean like I’m supposed too. Hanging out with Jasmine’s Korean friends is something I avoid due to the fact it puts her in a weird position of either translating or juggling conversations. While with foreigners, I look Korean, thus I’m just one more person they can’t talk too. Actually I kind of freaked out a wayguk this morning by say “thank you.” So most days, I tend to end up in no man’s land, neither here nor there. (Actually it’s kind of been that way most of my life, you’d think I would be used to it.) By hanging out with other foreigners it’s translates to, “Oh, we can talk to her. She’s with other English speakers so she must speak English.” Finding other foreigners that I didn’t work with was the trick. Also in Korea, it’s kind of odd but you end up with a lot of single use friends. The kind from Fight Club, except instead of being stuck on a plane, you’re stuck in Korea. Everyone is trying to get somewhere. And everyone is in the same plane(or country). So, sometimes you meet someone, hang out for a day and then you never see the person again, no big deal. Singe use friend. I’m starting to make non-single use friends which is good. It’s nice to get out of no man’s land. I’m really enjoying meeting new people from all over the world. It’s really interesting. I’ve never been the best at making friends, due to some trust issues(which I’m getting over). So, I’m glad I’m opening up in that way. Friends always seemed like a dangerous proposition in many ways, it means letting people in. Letting people in means they can hurt you, betray you. And does it hurt, but at the same time, I’m starting to think the risk of the hurt is worth it in the long run. Plus, I’ve got some friends that have shown me again and again that they will be there for me when I need them. So, here’s to friends. Even single use friends. Thanks people.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home