Stranger in Her Native Land

There are stories I would like to tell and there are stories I can never tell. The rest is recorded below. My life, which lies between truth and fiction, is written here. Things are changing.

Name:
Location: Chicago, IL, United States

Can I feed you? :)

Thursday, December 22, 2005

Force Feed the Fat Boy.

Force Feed the Fat Boy is actually my second favorite application title. My favorite is Francis Ford Coppalla presents Dinner. The object of this activity is to reinforce new vocabulary like ice cream, cake, cookies, and chocolate by throwing pieces of paper with these words written on them into a bag with a picture of a fat boy. In the back of the book there is a picture of a fat boy you are supposed to Xerox and paste to the bag. I choose not to do this activity. I wonder why? Why am I writing about this? To highlight a cultural difference between Korea and America.
The difference is Vitamin D. Vitamin D is needed to grow strong bones, to absorb calcium. Koreans don’t get a lot of vitamin D, which is evident in the fact that almost all of the old women have osteoporosis(that and the Korean War wasn‘t the best time for eating a balanced diet). Another sign is that most Koreans are built on a smaller scale. When I arrived in Korea I was easily the largest women in the staff women. In America I was a small/medium, now I’m a large/extra large. Oh, look I got vitamin D growing up. Although at the same time, some of the younger generations are growing larger than previous generations due to a change in Korean eating habits. But it isn’t just diet. Korean women are not supposed to have muscles. My kids pointed at mine, and laughed. I asked what was so funny. They asked if I was a boy. Women don’t have muscles. Korea is also the country of plastic beauties. Lots of plastic surgery. One of my Korean co-teacher’s was late one day because her mother didn’t wake her up before she left to get her lips done(her son is a plastic surgeon). Why so much plastic surgery? It ties into Korea’s competitive streak(or obsession) which I’ll write about later.
Not the most Christmassy of posts. Wait. I should have a good one for Christmas. Something really sappy and trite. : )

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home