Stranger in Her Native Land

There are stories I would like to tell and there are stories I can never tell. The rest is recorded below. My life, which lies between truth and fiction, is written here. Things are changing.

Name:
Location: Chicago, IL, United States

Can I feed you? :)

Friday, March 03, 2006

Say Banana!


Wake up
Originally uploaded by punk_rock_baby.

What do I want to say? Let’s go with what I can say.

Today, I showed children how to make the light go on. I showed them by linking two batteries to one light bulb you can make a brighter light. I turned off the lights, to further accentuate the brightness of their little light bulb. They loved it. Positive and negative, it’s the only way the light goes on.

Thomas the Tomato finally got his first perfect test. Punk. ; )

My guys(class of boys) shouted repeatedly, “I love America,” in class today. I told them in America summer vacation is three months and there is no homework. They were very excited about that(even during vacation they have homework and often go to extra intensive schools).

The other day I explained to a class why feminists hate Hello Kitty. I hate Hello Kitty. I've never liked this cute kitten with no mouth, and until recently no last name. I went to a great exhibit in New York at the Japanese Institue(?), about popular culture in Japan after WWII. It was amazing. They had a section on Hello Kitty. It was in the same room as the reaction back from ultra-nationalism to cutzy-nationalism and paintings of anemic,adolesent, bunny girls doing not bunny like things to do. I see Hello Kitty as a representation of Asians' silent, doll girls. But, this is something I'll post about latter.

It’s nice to have job where you end up laughing through most of the day. That may have a little bit to do with the fact I find many things funny. I have to say there is something about laughing with children. The children are the best part about Korea. If it wasn’t for the kids, I probably would have already been on a plane back home months ago. At the same time, I don’t think I’m going to be a teacher. I think it’s a possibility but I want to work in a library when I get back. We’ll see. Who knows?

Not much to say. I’ve been spending more time mulling over things. Waiting.

*This class has split and now totals twenty kids. They maybe my favorite class. There is no class I don't like.

first:Owen(gone, don't know why.)
second: Chris, Thomas the tomato, Peter, Michael
third: Sally, Johnny(who now smiles, participates and also got a perfect), Angella, Lynn(lost her today), Kelly, Marissa, and Jeremy.

1 Comments:

Blogger Alison said...

Japan Society. That was probably the best show I've seen all year!

12:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home