Stranger in Her Native Land

There are stories I would like to tell and there are stories I can never tell. The rest is recorded below. My life, which lies between truth and fiction, is written here. Things are changing.

Name:
Location: Chicago, IL, United States

Can I feed you? :)

Sunday, July 16, 2006

Happy Consitution Day!

Still raining, really it hasn’t stopped raining since the last post.
Happy Constitution Day! In Korea.

I don’t think they do anything special, like we do for the Fourth. They treat is like a day off. Oh, and it is a day off. So today’s post is going to be about vacations. In my limited work experience Koreans don’t get much vacation time. Jasmine got two days off after working at Hwajeong for two years. I think Monica is taking an extra day or two around Chuseok. Semi is leaving the school so she can travel, which is a shame because it would have been good for them to keep here around. But alas, there really is no vacation time.

There are official holidays like today. There are about ten days off or so sprinkled through out the year. Unfortunately the longer holidays are either during peak travel when it will cost you twice as much to travel(since everyone is off) or during family holidays(as in you have to visit your family or else). Chuseok and Lunar New Year are two family holidays where you have to go visit your family, and if you’re female you have to cook(especially if you marry the oldest son). I have five days off and I won’t be leaving the country because it is too expensive and I’d rather wait for Thailand. So this leaves very little time for relaxing for the women I work with. I have a little less sympathy for the men since most salary men I can see relaxing as they stumble home tipsy after drinks with their co-workers.

On the other hand Koreans still enjoy their time off. They love one day holidays. The men will often start drinking before the bus starts rolling, but it’s soju so yeah, not really drunk, just tipsy. Korea is a beautiful country with it’s rolling hills and mountains. And Koreans love these hills and mountains as they are avid hikers. They love hiking, they do it in droves, they also tend to drink and eat while doing and from what I hear they are very good at it. Any ajima could beat me any day of the week and trice over. Korea being so small (relatively) makes short trips easy. So while trips out side the country are not easy, short trips are attainable. The thing is what do Koreans want to do on vacation.

Well, since most of my time with Koreans students that is where I get some of my information. Often with the older kids we have lessons about different parts of the world. I asked them where they wanted to go on vacation if they could go anywhere. I don’t think they really cared where they ended up as long as they got to sleep in, eat and play. But in general they would say some English speaking country or maybe someplace in Europe like France or Italy. My older kids are always telling me they are either hungry, tired, or both. They will start summer vacation soon, maybe they will go on vacation and tell me about it, but I may not be here when they get back. Soon, I’ll be going on my own vacation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home