Stranger in Her Native Land

There are stories I would like to tell and there are stories I can never tell. The rest is recorded below. My life, which lies between truth and fiction, is written here. Things are changing.

Name:
Location: Chicago, IL, United States

Can I feed you? :)

Saturday, June 24, 2006

Dongdaemun Cat


Dongdaemun Cat
Originally uploaded by punk_rock_baby.
I’m not much of a shopper, actually I’m the shopper sales associates hate. I look, I don’t want help, and I dislike being talked to until I’ve made a decision. Actually, trying to sell my something will often lose you a sale. I’d rather just make up my own mind without any outside interference. In America you can get away with just looking around, but not in Korea. Shopping in Korea is communal just like everything else. Really shopping in Korea is a lot like navigating Gencon. In Dongdaemun, tall buildings are filled with stalls, organized by type of clothing, there are no dressing booths, you learn to eye ball size or dress to be able to try things on in the aisles, which allow two way traffic and nothing else. It’s a bit of a mad house of stick girls (always in pairs), ajimas, food on sticks, and cheap knock offs.

When I first arrived I would try to politely deter hawkers from talking to me by saying “no” and shaking my head. Anything more and then out comes the long explanation and their question, “Where are you from?” which prolongs a conversation I don’t want to get into, I just want to buy a shirt. I’ve taken now to moving fast, avoiding eye contact, or looking interested. I’m a drive by shopper. I also hate bargaining. Tell me what you want, I’ll tell you if I’ll give it to you or not. Which is what made yesterday’s kidnapping unsavory.

I’m looking for a new shoulder bag, so I wandered up to the bag section, not knowing my peril. One, most bag salesmen are men, verses women like in clothing. Also,I don’t care about designer labels, I like what I like(although I did by a Calvin Klein rip off yesterday). So, I saw this black motercycle bag that looked like what I was looking for. I liked, but I realized there was no price tag, which meant it was a bargaining item which meant trouble. The lady wanted to help me, but I said no and thank you and walked away not wanting to waste her time. Unfortunately, I was not so lucky at the next place. The guys would not stop, well shouting at me, a couple of them pulled at my arm trying to get me to go with them, one finally succeeded in getting me into his area almost a hiding hole behind a high display of bags. Behind the door where I thought there would be a mirror so I could see how the bag looked, was a small mirror, a low mini couch, a card table and a catalogue of designer bags while the walls were plastered with pictures of different models. In this little den of selling illegal knockoffs, I learned two things there are different classes to imitation bags and that some famous Korean actress picture was taken with the same bag(which is why several of them had it).

Needless to say, I didn’t get the bag mostly because I hate when they put a calculator in front of you and want you to name your price. Partially because, it’s a just a bag to me. Something that looks nice that you put a book, a wallet, an mp3 player, chapstick and if you’re lucky your camera, oh and a phone. What you want me to pay for is the fact some ones famous has it. You don’t want me to buy the bag, you want me to by a little bit of “fame,” a little bag of glory so to speak. In some of the stalls, t-shirts are displayed with the famous celebrity who wore one like it, enticing Korean women to buy them. To me they are a deterrent, my individualistic nature rebels at the thought of owning something Jessica Simpson wore(beside the fact it’s Jessica Simpson). I can deny the fact others do own what I own until the odd moment when fateful cock up has you staring at your double. But, that has rarely happend to me, or I'm oblivious. Don’t you love tangent posts?

Eh, so that’s shopping in Korea. I get to do the fun kind of shopping later today, book shopping. : ) Right now I’m finishing up Jonathan Lethem’s “Motherless Brooklyn” which has me convinced people are tourettic(or maybe I am). Wouldn’t it be nice to occasionally tear away, when things are too smooth, tearing with words of vulgarity into an indifferent world, that will quietly ignore your mad ravings like the passing of a breeze.

Well, enough raving. I hope people are good. Cheers.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I too dislike shopping in Dongdaemun. I avoid that place like the plague. Shopping in Korea isn't the greatest of enjoyments, but at the same time, it gives you fodder to write about!

4:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home