Stranger in Her Native Land

There are stories I would like to tell and there are stories I can never tell. The rest is recorded below. My life, which lies between truth and fiction, is written here. Things are changing.

Name:
Location: Chicago, IL, United States

Can I feed you? :)

Thursday, June 22, 2006

Naengmyon


Naengmyon
Originally uploaded by punk_rock_baby.
The weather has been deceptively nice, spring nice, with days which barely cause the skin to bead. It’s been too nice, but I’ve been enjoying the lovely cool nights while they last. I have to say cool nights are some of my favorite days to go walking, unfortunately in my toilet(Hwajeong sounds like toilet in Korean) there isn’t much of a view unless you love neon. It’s starting to move into the rainy season, mornings dawn grey and threaten light sprinkles to full on down pours. In the afternoon it tends to pass, but soon there will no longer be these bright moments which heat up the afternoon. Currently it’s still a dry heat, rather than the soggy heat that will be coming. Summer in Korea requires carrying a large umbrella, sunglasses, a fan, and a handkerchief at all times(or at least that is what I am told). We’ll see. For me it’s skirt season, which shows how un-Korean I am, since for Koreans skirt season is in winter. The guys would love winter in Korea. ; ) A student has already told me to cover my stomach up(not much was showing), Korean women tend to not show any stomach because it’s bad for the womb. I’m not joking here. But I’ve always been a bad Korean, so why stop now. ; )

Koreans are still World Cup crazy, we have a shot to make the next round if we do well next game against Switzerland and France doesn’t walk over Togo. I will use the nation of Korea as an alarm clock tomorrow. The game is at 4 am, so when the game get interesting they’ll wake me up, all I need to do is leave the window open.

Food, Korea is all about food. No, really social things revolve around food and the giving of food. Food is very important and most Korean food is good for you, or at least that is what they will tell you. Summer food, is namyeong which is a type of wheat noodle, thing like angel hair. It tends to be served as replacement for the bap in bimbibap. Or the favorite way is to eat it with chilled broth. Another favorite summer treat is shaved ice served with crushed red beans(azuki), and then other fruit and fruit syrup. Ice cream is dirt cheap too. I had a bar yesterday made of a honey and chestnut mixture which was okay.

More of the summer, when summer officially arrives

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home