Stranger in Her Native Land

There are stories I would like to tell and there are stories I can never tell. The rest is recorded below. My life, which lies between truth and fiction, is written here. Things are changing.

Name:
Location: Chicago, IL, United States

Can I feed you? :)

Sunday, July 23, 2006

Sabasaba chicken


Sabasaba chicken
Originally uploaded by punk_rock_baby.
I love food. I love eating different kinds of food. Heck, I love looking at different kinds of food. Yesterday, I whiled part of the day away looking at perfectly arranged displays of everything from fresh fish to red pepper paste covered vegetables. I like super markets(although I like markets even better) because you can see what people eat and often you can try different food. I really like farmer’s markets back home. I loved the fact that in the heart of business Chicago you can still see farmers markets on summer mornings. On Tuesdays during the summer I would often come home with whatever fresh fruit was in season. I liked it, I miss farmers markets. I haven’t seen really seen any farmers markets here. I’m looking forward to going to some in Thailand. I’m planning on taking a couple of cooking courses, which included trips to markets to buy ingredients. It should be a blast. One of the things I like about Korea is the food is so communal. You don’t really eat alone in Korea. And if you do have food you always share. When people drink, you eat. When people get together you eat. Food goes with having a good time in Korea, it goes with friends and family. Life is food, and the food in Korea if I had to describe it is simple, hearty, with a kick(either spicy or fishy), thus so is life. Korean fare is not a food for overly refined pallets, but it’s good wholesome food, warm. I’ll miss my steaming pots of sundubu(tofu stew with mushrooms, an egg, mussels, and onions) on cold nights.

1 Comments:

Blogger Will said...

I can't believe you've been gone almost a year already!

1:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home