Stranger in Her Native Land

There are stories I would like to tell and there are stories I can never tell. The rest is recorded below. My life, which lies between truth and fiction, is written here. Things are changing.

Name:
Location: Chicago, IL, United States

Can I feed you? :)

Monday, June 12, 2006

For Xee, Josh, and Friends

Last week I went with some friends to a Buddhist temple across from COEX mall. COEX is a modern monstrosity of a city air terminal, shopping mall, movie theater, wax museum, and convention center combined(I‘m pretty sure I‘m forgetting things). But just across the street there is a very nice Buddhist temple with a huge stone Buddha statue easily three stories high, which is illuminated at night. The afternoon was beautiful and free so we walked around the temple buildings, up the hill winding our way to the statue. That’s one of the great things about Seoul is it’s hilly. Seoul is an a valley, but rarely is it flat. I love the curves and bends of Seoul’s geography. It allows one to stand in front of a small wooden pavilion, brightly painted with swastikas and knot work on to a modern behemoth of plate glass and chrome, both of which are Korea. Actually it was a very Korean afternoon, we later crossed back to COEX tipped back some cheap Korean brew and headed out to a little samgapsal place we found on a windy back street. Samgapsal is grilled pork, which you wrap in lettuce or sesame leaves, with condiments and other additions like kimchee or grilled garlic. It was very good, and the ajima who ran it loved us. Mostly because Zack could speak some Korea(Korean girlfriend). The Koreans love it when waegoks speak Korean. Jasmine’s friends find it greatly amusing when I try.

Moving to the opposite side of the world. A few weeks ago I had a very different experience. I was meeting Jasmine and a friend for dinner on base. I had never been on base before. As we were signing in, I got a call from Zack about Thailand, so I was distracted as we walked out of the booth, up the slope and out into the parking lot of the Dragon Lodge, suddenly I was back in America. The Dragon Lodge looks like a standard American red brown hotel, which it is. Walking towards the hotel, I had the strange sensation of walking back into America. From the sports bar with flat beer and mediocre pub food, to going kid in a candy store crazy about finding apple sauce, in a store that felt like a corner Walgreens, I was back but not. Later we piled into a private car and drove to get gas, past a Burger King. I sat in the back staring at all the signs whipping by in English. The trees had grown high, so none of the Korean neon signs could be seen only a few high rises. It was an odd feeling, feeling like I was back in the States. It made me feel incredible nostalgic, but at the same time comforted.

In three months I’ll be flying back to the States(it‘s the thirteenth here). I’m going to Thailand from the first of Sept. to the 12th. I will probably be flying home in the 13th. I maybe out in New York from the 15th for a birthday. Who knows? Three months is a lot of time. Who knows what will happen in that time. I know I will have birthday. The rest is a mystery, but that’s good. I’m looking forward to enjoying my last few months in Korea. I’m looking forward even more to roaming around Thailand. And, I’m looking forward to seeing friends and family again. I don’t know what will happen when I get back, but it’ll be.

Wow, a much longer post then I intended. I really just want to say, I light some candles for well everybody. So, hopefully some good karma is coming your way(Earl style ; ) ). I light special ones for Xee and Josh, they know why. Mwa! Love ya.

1 Comments:

Blogger Will said...

It'll be nice to have you back in the States, but I'll sure miss being in Korea vicariously through your blog. Don't let those three months fly by!

9:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home