Stranger in Her Native Land

There are stories I would like to tell and there are stories I can never tell. The rest is recorded below. My life, which lies between truth and fiction, is written here. Things are changing.

Name:
Location: Chicago, IL, United States

Can I feed you? :)

Sunday, August 20, 2006

I need to learn how to drive.

The weather in Korea has become unseasonably cool, but no one is complaining. Supposedly it’s the spin out from a typhoon that didn’t hit us(thank goodness). It’s already noon, but Korea is just waking up. Koreans are kind of late risers. Sometimes when I’m out at six in the morning people are sobering up over samgapsal or stumbling home and the street cleaners are out cleaning up the litter from the previous night. So things are slowly starting to move down below.
I’m feeling a bit old school today. It’s been all Sex Pistols, Clash, Dead Kennedys and the Cure. It’s Sunday here, a day of rest, but not really, “No rest for the wicked“. I am working slowly on resumes and cover letters. Have I mentioned I hate selling myself? Soon, I’ll leave here and head to the gym. After that it’s errand running. I need to get moving even though I’ve been up for hours. More to do. In some way I feel like I haven’t done enough, yet coming to the end I don’t feel like going and doing those things. I’ve never really gone for a good hike, or visited all the palaces, and there is still a lot of Korean food I haven’t had but I don’t really care.

Korea was supposed to be an experience of a lifetime, and it has been just not in the way I expected it to be. I’m not disappointed, just reflective this morning. I came here to learn about Korea, but really I came to learn about me. I’ve learned a bit, but probably not as much as I should have or needed to. It’s been a good experience for me, I don’t regret coming here. I enjoyed my time here and yet I can’t wait to move on to what comes next. There’s always the next thing. What ever that maybe? You think I would feel more like I’m at a cross road since I have no job, but the potential for a job. No home, so the chance of living anywhere. Nothing is set, so I should be worried or expectant but I am neither this morning. I’m just waiting and workings slowly forward, and that’s fine with me. It’s going to rain today. It’s interesting I never know what the weather is going to be like it just is, if it rains it rains, if it doesn’t it doesn’t. No forecasts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home