Stranger in Her Native Land

There are stories I would like to tell and there are stories I can never tell. The rest is recorded below. My life, which lies between truth and fiction, is written here. Things are changing.

Name:
Location: Chicago, IL, United States

Can I feed you? :)

Sunday, August 06, 2006

Simplicity


Simplicity
Originally uploaded by punk_rock_baby.
This rambling is about the new National History Museum in Seoul. The first time I tired to go to it I was shocked by the length of the line outside of the building, let alone the concept of how crushing it probably was inside. The building exterior is sleek modern design of soft grays and glass, softened by winding steps, a small pond, and some landscaping in the process of growing in. The inside of the building is done in light tans. After entering the building to the right, you can see a long sleek black counter labeled in several different languages. Help and programs are offered in several languages, including Japanese, English, Chinese and I believe French. Koreans are extremely proud of their history and eager to show it off to foreigners. Maybe this nationalism is heightened by the fact the Japanese and the Korean War destroyed so much culture and cultural artifacts. Most temples and palaces bear the stamp of restructuring or repairs due to Japanese Colonialism. I think that is crime the Koreans can’t forgive the Japanese for, for trying to eradicate they culture, their very being(although ironically, Western and Japanese culture are doing a good job of doing it with out colonialism).

Technically, the kids are off of school but they still have homework. Many of the kids there had notebooks that they were filling out as they walked around the exhibits. Some of the children were wearing the interactive guides that can be rented at many museums these days. In some ways, I don’t like Korean museums because they can more like going to a theme park than looking at interesting pieces of history since I had to stand in the lines to see the exhibits. Luckily, things thinned out so it lost some of that feeling. On the upside it was good to see so many children there. Another thing which surprised me was the photography. I don’t know if it’s just an Asian thing, but never in a million years would I have taken pictures in a museum in the States. But, after turning off my flash I started taking pictures. I wish I had taken notes, usually I do. I think I was too exhausted from taking the pictures, many took many tries to get since I was using really slow shutter speeds. So, all in all I enjoyed my day at the museum.

I’d like to say also that I really like early Korean metal work and later works of pottery. I think they are quite beautiful. I like celadon for it’s soft color and simplicity of shape often. The metal work I enjoy for it’s skill and intricacy. Also some of the inlay work is nice. I think it was in the practical things that Koreans really excelled at making wonderful pieces. I didn’t find the art work particularly interesting. I hope you enjoyed the pictures. Next weekend, it’s hopefully pottery shopping in Icheon.

1 Comments:

Blogger Joon Park said...

I was reading through your blog - most inspiring! You've been through a lot and a lot of flavor comes through in your writing. You mentioned that you've returned to Korea and that a year ago, you did not speak Korean. How has it been living in Korea with the language barrier? Have you learned a lot during that time? How is the culture different from the States?

1:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home